Friday, 22 July 2011

Proud Mummy!!!

The Good

Yesterday was Sams graduation day. I was so proud. He got a Masters in Computer and electronic engineering so he is now a MEng!
We set out for Leeds at 1.30pm and went to Sams flat. I struggled climbing the 3 flights of stairs up to his flat so knew the day wouldnt be very easy!
Then we went to the Uni. I was in my wheelchair. we queued for photos. It was great so see him in his gown. They wernt allowed to wear Mortar boards for health and safety reasons!!!! How pathetic!!! But he wore one for the photos.
Next we went to his faculty for a recpetion. I loved seeing all the diferent gowns and caps people wore. There were so many different nationalities there. Hardl;y any white English at all. Countries like China and the Arab nations must sned there students over here to study engineering and computers. leeds is one of the top 25 unis in the world for these subjects.

After the reception was the actual degree ceremony. I loved all the pomp and ceremony surrounding it all. It reminded me of 'Porterhouse Blues' (A novel by Tom Sharp-televised in the 1980's) And Harry Potter. All this doffing of caps at each other and bowing etc.
I was very proud when Sam stepped up to get his degree.
we then hunbg around outside for more photos. The engineering faculty is in the oldest part of the uni. Its a beautiful building. I'm so glad we wernt in the later 1960/70's concrete souless buildings.

The weather was warm and sunny which was fab after it'd rained all week.
Then we went for a meal to celebrate.
By the time we'd dropped Josh off at his friends in leeds, gone back to Sams flat to pack him and Sarah up and driven home it was 10.30pm. I was exhausted and in agony!!!

The Bad

Unfortunately Mr Cinders uncle died last Saturday. It was the same hebrew date as my Mums passing as it was my first ever Yarhzeit

The funeral was Monday so went up to St Annes for it. Mr Cinders and his brother are both terribly upset as they were very close to his uncle. It poored it down all day.
I found it all very hard. It was the Hebrew date of my Mums funeral and this was the frist funeral I'd been to since Mum died so it was very emotional and I was upset for Mr Cinders too.
It was a long day travelling and alot of standing.

On the Saturday of |Mums Yahrzeit
we went to the synagogue. dad came with us and he said the remeberance prayer for the dead. I didnt feel tooo bad as I'd really grieved on the English anniversary at the end of June.

The Ugly

Well I had to call it that didnt I!!! Fibro- F*ing Fibro. hey I can amke that into A song! Instead of U2's Sunday Bloody Sunday!!
I rested all weekend. We were s'poosed to go out Sat Night but Mr Cinders had been with his uncle when he died and he was too upset.
Sunday I felt great!! I met up with my knitty friends from Ravelry for a coffee and knit. Then I went shopping as I had no rain coat. I'd put one on on saturday. It was a size 18 and it drowned me! So I bought a 12 (US 8). I was so thrillled.
Monday was a the funeral so Tues and Wed I was exhausted and in pain. I just rested. Yesterday at the graduation took it out of me so today I'm totally exhausted and in pain. I'm going to bed soon for another sleep. I'm getting very fed up.

Paleo

Yay!! Another 1 and 1/2 lb off. donw to 9st 10.6!!! I am so thrilled.

Food yesterday-
B- nectarinc cobbler- this is gorgoeus- 1/2 nectarine, handful pecans chopped, fried in butter, mix 2 eggs with 1 tbsp apple sauce and poor over fruit/nuts and scarmble. its so delicious and very filling

L- non not hungry

s- strawbs and cream at graduation

D- braised beef ina red wine, port and choclate sauce. I asked for veg instead of potatos. Yum!!!

Exercise this week- Zilch!!!!

2 comments:

Sue Jackson said...

Sorry I haven't been by in so long - I'm really having trouble making time for blogging this summer with my kids home every day!

Wow, you've had a lot of ups and downs recently, haven't you? So sorry to hear about your husband's uncle. We've had a lot of deaths in our families in recent years, and I know how difficult that is...and how exhausting the funeral, etc. is for us.

What wonderful news about your son! You must be so proud of him. I had to laugh about the mortars - they couldn't wear them for health and safety reasons?? That's a new one! What are they worried about - the sharp corners? Too funny. Our oldest is just going into his last year of high school, so we have graduations and college in our future.

Hope you have recovered from all these big events and are feeling better by now.

Sue

Helen said...

Congratulations on the boy, that's fantastic. And having to go to a funeral on an anniversary is very tough: life doesn't arrange these things very well, does it?
It looks as if I might have to try the diet: I tried food combining and other things when I was getting ill but nothing worked so I gave up but maybe it's time to try it again. Do you read Dooce? She's on it too http://dooce.com/2011/08/03/wherein-i-go-touch-more-insane
Keep resting, and don't overdo it again until you're properly over this bit: take lots of care :)