Sunday, 10 January 2010

On Books and Radiotherapy

But not both together! I read about 50 books last year which is much higher than the year before. I didnt keep a record towards the end. Cant think what was distracting me!
My favourite books were definitely Henning Mankells Wallander series. They were dark aswell as telling a good detective story. I got into wallander by watching the Swedish series on BBC 4 I loved following the subtitiles whilst listening to the Swedish language as you can pick up English sounding words and find the root to alot of our own language in there. of course scandanavian/norse language came over with the Vikings so it makes sense. Then I started reading the books and got wholey hooked on them. The character of Wallander is depresive and an ordinary bloke/anti-hero really. I then watched the Kenneth Brannagh version. They're more brooding than the Swedish version and what annoys me is that the English version has tried to get the Swedish pronunciations correct for names of places and people yet they continue to mis pronounce Wallander which is actually pronounced Vallander. Just a small mater but it irks me!

Anyway back to books. I also love medieval history and was thoroughly engrosed in Sussanah gregory's mathew bartholomew tales of murder in medieval Cambridge. A month ago I discovered Bernard Knights Crowner John series about the life of one of the first coroners appointed by Richard the Lionheart in 1393. The character is fictional but his peirs and surroundings are real.

And now onto Radiotherapy. The therapy itself is fine. its litterally 2 blasts of about 20seconds from the machine. But as I go by ambulance to Christies I have to be ready 2 hours before hand and can wait up to 2 hours to be brought home. The waiting around is long and very tiring. its also awkward as I go in my wheelchair. Well sometimes I have the energy to push myslef to the loo or coffee bar,other times I cant. Mr Cinders is working and cant accompany me and I hate having to ask to be wheeled to the loo at my age. Still I'm very grateful to the ambulance service therwise it'd be a £60 round journey in a taxi every day!
£ sessions down-12 to go. This week is going to be hard as its 5 consecutive days. I tired after 3 days now so heaven help me!!
I'm also very grateful to have a wonderful cancer centre like Chrisites on my doorstep. its so busy there. You see some heartbreaking sites Like I saw a young woman wearing a wig, with her chemo drips attatched saying goodbye to 3 small boys and a husband one day. I also saw a teenager in a wheelchair. I just think thank God mine was caught so early and the radiothrapy is really just an extra insurance policy so the cancer has less chance of returning.

KNITTING
Yes I'm still doing it slowly. I've finished Knitting the February Ladies jacket . it needs the hems sewing over and buttons going on it. I'm trying to finish a V nck I started 2 years ago now and I have a peppermint lozenge sock on the go for my hospital visits. I should photograph them really but ...

Business is O.K I am not re-stocking the shop as I havnt the energy to dye any more yarn at the mo but I'm taking orders from existing stock and I've had a few orders on which is nice.

5 comments:

dreamcatcher said...

Good to find another Wallander fan! I haven't read the books as yet but will certainly track them down now. I too was hooked in by the Swedish version on BBC4. Drives me potty when they mispronounce Wallander in the programme, then the continuity announcer does the same thing! hadn't watched the first series of Branagh but will probably catch up at some point, thought last night's was better than the previous week's (when they shot Svartman LOL!).

Glad to hear they caught your cancer in good time, and all the best for the treatment. xx

Adee aka kiwigirl42 said...

thinking of you every day. Really don't envy your hellish journey. Sounds horrific but the radiotherapy will give you some peace of mind I hope.
Have you read the Outlander series of books by Diane Gabeldon? They are brilliant too
take care x x and hugs

hobbz said...

You rock girl! I'm so inspired by your posts and please know that while I'm not always in touch I do think of you often! keep up your strength and good attitude...love the book discussions!

hobbz

Tracey said...

I didn't realise you had a breast cancer op, just noticed your blog hadn't been updated, hope everything is going well now.
I'll be thinking of you.x.

Fiona Reynolds said...

The Christie is a fantastic hospital and you'll be well looked after. Take care of yourself.

If you like Wallander have you read Stieg Laarson's Millenium trilogy? The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is the first one - cracking series. Very violent and it was his protest about Sweden's treatment of women and children. (I say was because he died, I think before the novels were translated into English).

Thinking of you.